Thursday, July 31, 2008

Catching Up With Neil 'Neir' Dacosta

I first met Neil Dacosta about 6 years ago when we were both living in Salt Lake City. He was just starting to break out on the snowboard scene and I was just starting to realize that I should be concentrating more on school. One of the things I noticed about Neil though, is that he's one of those guys who shows no outward signs of his creativity. I think a lot of people these days attempt to project their creativity through their appearance. Neil projects his creativity through his work. After you've finished reading this interview, go check out his website.

So Neil, what are you up to right now?

Neil: Trying to relax before our show tonight, our second one so I am still pretty nervous.

Show? I didn't know you had a band?

Neil: Shelby Menzel's band "The Sentimental Gentlemen". We DON'T sound like Yanni.

That sounds like a name Shelby would come up with.

Neil: Well we are sentimental gentlemen.

Well if I get this up soon enough, where can people go see you tonight for themselves?

Neil: Wimpy's Bar, 519 NW 21st AVE. I think.

Who else is in the band and what are you playing?

Neil: Shelby Menzel on guitar, Mr. Jonathan Schier on drums, Michael Leblanc on trombone, and yours truly on bass.

Bass huh? That's pretty fitting. I always get nice photos of you catching largemouth bass. Have you been playing any of them lately?

Neil: Only one little one so far this season.


What a brave dog.

Neil: She fell in not too long after.

What's her name?

Neil: Loki.

I bet everyone likes Loki. Have you made your way up to Hood this summer?

Neil: Thats where I caught that fish, I haven't put on snowboard boots yet though. I like taking the summer off from snow.

I think fishing may be a little more summer appropriate.

Neil: Unless there is cash involved.

Yeah I hear you on that. I forgot what money looks like.

Neil: Yea, summers off build up the stoke for when the real snow comes.

When I met you, you were living in Salt Lake City. How's Portland in comparison?

Neil: Completely different world. When I am in Salt Lake, it is for the snow. Salt Lake is great for snow, Portland has beautiful summers and thats what I am here for.

Who did you shoot with this winter? Any highlights?

Neil: Mostly with women riders. The whole Roxy team and a bunch with Sara Phillips. Then a little with Team Thunder. And even less with my Scandinavian Action Horse buddies.

Action Horse, that's a good name.

Neil: Good name for good guys.

Here's one for all the photography dorks, actually I have two in a row for the photography dorks. Question One: What is your favorite thing to shoot?

Neil: Yikes. I am trying to shoot more portraits. That could be my favorite thing at the moment.

That's good, that's actually the reason I asked. I've always thought you shot really good portraits.

Neil: Does "nudes" make me sound cooler?

Nudes make you seem creepier, and everyone knows creeps are mad artsy! Are you ready for photo dork question two?

Neil: Yea.

Ok. What is your favorite camera set up to shoot with at the moment?

Neil: My T3 point and shoot 35mm camera, it makes me take "snapshots" which I never used to really do. I always had to plan shoots, but not with the T3. Completely different realm of photography for me.

Yeah, I love my Elph. I don't know how it stands up to the T3. But it's good to always be ready to make or ruin someone's day with a nice photograph.

Neil: Hopefully I haven't ruined anyone's day yet. This interview might do that though. Remember when I used to shoot photos of you?

Yeah, those days were the best. My parents framed one of them. I should go shoot some Elph photos of you this winter.

Neil: That would definitely ruin someone's day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!!!! NEIR!!!

Anonymous said...

nice!

robbiesell said...

Neir is legit.